Saturday, July 3, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I hope to update this regularly with notes on how my training is going (or not going) as well as news about the cause; raising money for blood cancer research. I know nothing about blogging so any tips are appreciated :o)

Saturdays are our group training session long runs, which they like to emphasize should be at a "slow, conversational pace." I don't know about you but until now I haven't been inclined to have drawn out conversations with people when I run, for fear of 1) getting tired more quickly 2) projectile saliva on my running buddy or 3) getting distracted and clotheslined by one of the hardcore runners. If running in Central Park has taught me anything it's that if you fall, people and cyclists will turn you into roadkill without a second glance.

Anyway, the slow conversational pace actually WORKS. It helps pass the time and mileage to run with someone, not to mention the opportunity to make new friends. TODAY I RAN 6.4 MILES!! A personal best for sure, and I don't think I would have been able to do it without having a running buddy to chat with. You may say I could run with Mike, but I don't consider someone who runs circles around me while singing and making jokes a "buddy," more like "someone that needs to just run ahead of me and leave me to my heaving."

I'm pretty proud of myself to get to this point though, despite a week on vacation that involved beers, burgers, and beirut. Keep checking in for more updates!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Christie! I'm inspired by you and hope to try and run a bit myself once I get back. Keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6.4 miles! You're an animal! I am excited to read more about your training. Woo!

    ReplyDelete